Text messaging for customer service is any kind of customer service communications sent via text messaging. With customer service SMS messaging, support teams can send updates, share important communication, resolve issues and queries, conduct surveys, promote reward programs, just to name a few common tasks. Texting is excellent to scale, organize, avoid human errors, and track all messaging aiming to improve user experience and support customers anyhow.
At Trumpia, we understand that text messaging is an excellent tool for customer service. Among many reasons, because 64% of consumers prefer to use texting to communicate with a business. That’s why our platform features not only all the functionalities that allow a successful customer service but also, automated text message workflow templates you can start using right away.
Do you want to know more about how to use texting for customer service? Start a 14-day free trial and get all the features included in our Premium plans, among other benefits.
The Benefits of Text Messaging for Customer Service
When it comes to receiving a customer service solution, the shorter the wait the better. When people get long hold times, slow or wrong replies, they will very likely look for alternatives no matter how good your product or service is. Text messaging is an excellent way to avoid that because:
- Text messaging is fast: 90% of text messages are read within 3 minutes and have a 45% response rate. This means texts save both you and your clients a lot of time.
- People actually prefer text messaging: 60% of users in the US find texting much less intrusive than phone calls or even emails.
- Higher open rate: text messaging open rate is 98%; much higher than emails (22%). That means it’s more unlikely for people to miss it (and blame your support team for that).
- Not all businesses use texting: only 25% of businesses in the US use SMS marketing in any of its forms; including customer service. This is a great opportunity for you to implement a technology your clients will love and won’t find in your competitors.
- Texting is fairly easy to implement: no coding or special training is required; making it very easy and fast to implement.
Best Practices when Texting Customers
If you’re already convinced to start using text messaging for customer service, here are a few recommendations to do it with the right foot:
Use Two-Way Texting
As we mentioned before, people prefer texting over phone or email. But keep in mind that they also like the idea of having a person replying on the other side. Two-way texting does that because it enables conversations between your support team and your clients. This is also an excellent way to get useful feedback and build relationships with them.
Trumpia’s texting software offers this functionality and takes it to the next level by offering pre-built two-way texting templates; smart targeting, threaded conversations, and MMS functionality; which allows you to send and receive photos, pictures, and even video or voice files.
Use a Polite but Friendly Tone
Part of showing a human experience through texting is using a tone that is conversational and professional at the same time. Even though they’re automated, your messages should be friendly and aim to build a relationship while also providing a solution or answer. If it’s appropriate and goes with your brand’s identity, using emojis is also recommended.
Try to avoid shortcuts, abbreviations, excessive lingo or using too sophisticated wording. Many people can find that difficult to understand. It’s also good to keep in mind that text messages are limited to 160 characters; so keep it short and to the point. If you need to provide a comprehensive answer, you should better include a link that leads to that answer. Trumpia features a useful compliant link shortener for that; which also features click-through tracking.
Be Consistent and Timely
Make sure your customer service team is ready to use text messaging to provide help when it’s needed. They should take text messages as seriously as any other communication channel. Text messaging is useful just if you can provide quick, helpful customer service. If you use Trumpia’s texting software, we offer onboarding and training so your team can start using it the right way, right away.
Enable Easy Opt-ins and Outs
This applies especially when you need to send order status, appointment reminders, or similar outbound text messages. Even though clients will value receiving it, they should also have options if they decide not to. Simply adding an opt out keyword like STOP or CANCEL at the end of those messages can give clients the alternative to opt-out if they want to. And at the same time, you’d be complying with strict SMS marketing regulations.
Integrate SMS to Your Existing Channels
If you’re already successfully using certain customer support channels, why should you change them? Instead, you can integrate texting to those channels and offer omni channel support. That way, you can offer a smooth experience to all your customers disregarding their stage in the sales funnel or their communications channel of choice. Attack all the different fronts with equal level of efficiency.
SMS integration at Trumpia is especially convenient for multiple reasons:
- Our intelligent texting software features built-in integration with major platforms like Salesforce, Zapier, and Typeform.
- We also provide custom integrations. So if you do not have an in-house developer nor want to hire one, our experts can help you.
- Our basic level integration allows you to encompass Trumpia with over 2,000 popular applications; including Hubspot, Mailchimp, Shopify, and many more.
- Get advanced reports on opt-outs, sign-up information, real-time voting, among other useful metrics.
Are you ready to use Trumpia for customer service? Do you have any questions about our platform? Call or Text 1-888-707-3030 to communicate with our experts and get the answers you’re looking for.